For more than 130 years, whiskey has come to age inside brick walls and the wooden rows of support in Warehouse C. Nearly 24,000 white oak barrels stretch deep into the darkness, stacked to the ceiling and carefully placed to create a specific taste profile.
Built in 1890 and renovated in 1936, the building originally served as the boiler house that powered and heated the distillery. Today, the structure serves as the site for the bottling of our premium bourbons and whiskies, including Eagle Rare and Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon.
Building 3 has seen a myriad of uses since its construction in 1880, serving as everything from a holding area for finished product before shipping to even housing a temporary bottling line. Today, it serves as the production area for our famous Peychaud's and Regans' Bitters, known by bartenders everywhere as an essential ingredient in many fine cocktails served all over the world.
The Elmer T. Lee Clubhouse–in recognition of his 50 years of dedication and contributions to making this one of the finest distilleries in the world. Accommodating groups from 30 to 200 guests, the Clubhouse's rustic veranda and balcony overlook an expansive tree-shaded courtyard bordered by an ornamental stream and floral gardens.
Originally constructed in 1950 to protect the many barrels of aging whiskey on site, the Firehouse remained in use until the advent of modern sprinkler systems. Today the building houses the Firehouse Sandwich Stop and contains historical artifacts such as coats and boots worn by the firefighters.
Constructed in 1881 as whiskey Warehouse A, the building housed barrels of aging whiskey for several decades. Today, it serves as the Visitor's Center, gallery, and gift shop. In 2015 the Visitor’s Center went through a vertical expansion, doubling its square footage. It now houses four tasting bars on the upper level and memorabilia from the extensive Distillery archives. The Single Oak Room, also located upstairs, can be rented for private events.
Built in 1934 by Col. Albert Bacon Blanton as a private residence for himself and his wife, the mansion retains most of its original woodwork and intricate detail. Today, this house is named "Stony Point" after the land it sits on and serves as offices for Distillery staff.
Built in 1934, this warehouse holds nearly 16,000 maturing barrels of fine Kentucky bourbon. The metal shell allows the building to quickly warm during the day and cool at night, producing bourbon characteristics that most appealed to Colonel Albert B. Blanton.
Built in 1952 to house the two millionth barrel of whiskey produced at the Distillery since Prohibition, this is the smallest bonded aging warehouse in the world. Licensed to hold just a single barrel, the warehouse is now home to special barrels as they age and has held each successive millionth barrel produced by the Distillery.
Hand-selected corn from local Kentucky and Indiana farms, along with other grains such as rye, wheat and malted barley are brought in daily by the truckload. It is here that the grains are carefully inspected, measured and tested to ensure they meet the rigid standards for quality, moisture and composition. The newly received grains are then transported to the hammer mill where they are milled to exact specifications.
We source all of the corn used to distill whiskeys at Buffalo Trace from producers that certify to us that they are supplying non-GMO crops.
Here the fully fermented mixture, or "beer," complete with solids, enters the top of our 60,000-gallon Beer Still and descends naturally. The alcohol-rich vapor that is produced is then passed through the Doubler Still, creating a crystal-clear liquid called "white dog."
Freshly milled corn is dropped into three 10,000-gallon pressure cookers and combined with Kentucky limestone water. After the corn has cooked for about one hour, other grains such as wheat, rye or malted barley are added to the mixture.
The Dry House was built in 1943 from a federal grant to provide grain for farmers during the grain shortage of WWII. The unused solids from the mashing process are dried here and turned into animal feed for local farms and businesses.
The Distillery is located on the banks of the Kentucky River. Its water is fresh and rich with minerals from its natural filtration through Kentucky limestone. The river was also used by Harrison Blanton in the early 1800s to ship whiskey to New Orleans.
Buffalo Trace Distillery was named a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of the Interior in 2013, sharing this distinction with less than 3,000 other properties in the United States. The Distillery is described as a “rare, intact example of a Distillery operating before, during, and after Prohibition.”
Experimental Warehouse, or “Warehouse X,” was built in 2013 to explore the limits of environmental influences on the quality of whiskey. Constructed of four independent barrel chambers plus one open air chamber, Warehouse X allows for experimentation into variables such as temperature, humidity, air flow, sunlight and more.
The botanical gardens at Stony Point were carefully refurbished in 2012 and 2013 to look similar to what Colonel Blanton originally built in the 1930s. They contain water features and stone benches, offering a peaceful and tranquil setting in which to relax.
The first of new barrel warehouses built on the whiskey farm, Warehouse AA contains more than 58,000 barrels, one of the largest barrel warehouses in the industry. Each subsequent warehouse, BB, CC, DD, and so on, will be built of similar size and capacity. Warehouse AA is unique because it contains a cupola at the top overlooking the campus of Buffalo Trace Distillery. The cupola is affectionately called “The Eagle’s Nest” after the Eagle Rare Bourbon Whiskey brand.
To meet the burgeoning demand for bourbon, an additional 250 acres was purchased adjacent to the Distillery in 2014. Although the primary purpose of this land is to hold more barrel aging warehouses, acreage has been set aside for the Distillery to grow its own corn. Each year a different strain of corn is planted, to someday become a true farm-to-table bourbon whiskey.